Monday, August 3, 2009

Homes of The Future



I don't know about you, but my home is not very smart. It does not know when to start my coffee in the morning or how to clean the floor when little Sophie has an accident. It has difficulty distinguishing between a roaring grease fire and a steamy shower, (which makes it a good thing it can't remember the number to call in an emergency). The only interaction I have with the house is when I must dance the Macarena in front of the motion detector to get my outside lights to come on in my backyard. Imagine if the homes of the future could assist in all of the never-fun-to-do chores around the house, or helped take care of you when in need. Is this what's to come in the future?


Engineering the Smart Home


In creating the home of the future, engineers seek to understand what technologies are best suited for the home and how much technology its residents can tolerate. One way researchers test futuristic home ideas is to build a smart home, then invite people to live in it.

Research is mainly being done in these areas:


Health - Monitoring your health, with emphasis on assisting the elderly.

Networking - Connecting occupants and everything else in the house together.


Interfacing - You and technology living with each other in harmony.


Pervasive Computing - Tiny processing devices everywhere.


Environment - Reducing environmental impact.


Energy - Every home produces its own energy.


Robotics - Robot assisted living. Cleaners, caregivers and companions.

1 comment:

  1. I remember watching a movie on the Disney Channel when I was younger called the Smart house! This house was amazing it woke you up in the morning, bran the paper in, made you breakfast and had your shower ready for you to get in! I would love to own a Smart house and I really hope the future develops them!

    ReplyDelete